Thank You for Joining Us at Our 2020 Virtual Summer Symposium
Member login required.
Save the Date for Summer Symposium 2021
July 9-11, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Past Summer Symposiums
Summer Symposium 2019
July 11-13, 2019
Summer Symposium 2018
Navigating the Future of Philanthropy
July 12-14, 2018
Charleston, South Carolina
Summer Symposium 2017
Summer Symposium 2016
July 7-9, 2016
Silverado Resort and Spa
"Great Philanthropy. Great Wine. Great Times"
Summer Symposium 2015
July 9-11, 2015
W Boston in Boston
"Achieving the Leading Edge"
Summer Symposium 2014
July 24-26, 2014
Renaissance Vancouver Harbourside in Vancouver, BC, Canada
"Philanthropy: The Future, The Firm"
Summer Symposium 2013
July 25-28, 2013
Lansdowne Resort in Leesburg, VA
"Advocacy Talent Impact Global"
View past Summer Symposium final programs and resources (members only).
History of Summer Symposium
The Giving Institute (formerly The American Association of Fundraising Counsel) began planning the first Summer Institute for Consulting Professionals in 1991. They perceived the meetings as an opportunity to:
- Give leading consulting professionals in the philanthropic sector a chance to identify and discuss the most important issues facing not-for-profit organizations in their fund-raising endeavors.
- Initiate ongoing review and discussion of the technologies employed in the fundraising profession.
- Provide an opportunity for professional leaders, inside and outside the AAFRC, to interact collegially, and to look at new ideas and methods in the profession.
- Offer a national setting for the exchange of ideas about the profession.
- Explore standards and changing practices.
- Augment the training of younger professionals.
The first Summer Institute was held in July of 1992 in Beaver Creek, Colorado. Over the years, the Summer Institute topics have allowed participants to explore aspects of the industry in depth.